Friday, September 21, 2012

Millinery at Norisol Ferrari

A couple weeks ago I was in New York City, helping make hats for the Norisol Ferrari Spring/Summer  '13 collection that showed at New York Fashion Week. Working with Norisol and her design team was  exciting and inspiring! 


I was working under the in house milliner, Ann Morin, to help construct each of the hats that walked the runway, and many more that didn't make the cut. 



The hats were specifically designed to shield your skin from the sun without messing up your hair. They only sit on a tiny portion of the front of your head, so when you remove your hat indoors, you won't have hat hair. I was completely on board with the concept! Anything that is designed to shield me from the sun AND look gorgeous is something I want! 



Most of the hats in the show have a brim with a continuous spiral stitch covering the entire area. I sewed them on a machine and felt quite dizzy by the end of each one. There was also a lot of hand sewing involved in each hat. Several different types of stitches were necessary to construct them properly. Then stretch velvet ribbons were attached to secure them onto the models heads. 


It was also exciting to be backstage and get to see everything we all worked on come together and look so beautiful on the models. That is always one of my favorite parts of creating something! It feels so satisfying when everything comes together!


I also helped drape and construct the lovely bridal veil with hand made duchess satin bias binding.


I had never made hats using conventional techniques before. It was a wonderful learning experience for me to find out more about hat construction. I also really enjoyed being in the atmosphere of the busy studio, and everyone working towards a common goal together. It was definitely a fun experience and I am very pleased with the hats and with the collection! It is always exciting to be part of creating beautiful objects.

Photos from zimbio.com and wwd.com

No comments:

Post a Comment